Mama Mia! Forgot the Video Again


My husband and I were watching Mamma Mia, the video, and we didn't mail it back to Netflix right away. The kids picked it up and watched it a little bit.


You may remember the opening scene, the girl is trying to figure out which of three men is her daddy. She's reading her mom's diary and each time she relates a story about one of the three men, the story ends in dot, dot, dot. As in, one thing lead to another and then dot, dot, dot...


She says it's the old fashioned way that women wrote about the you know what. So I found out the kids put the video in. I braced myself for questions such as mom, how would a girl not know which man is her father? Why would three different men possibly be a girl's father? No questions came. They hurried off to school and I breathed a sigh of relief.


The next day I was talking with my seven-year-old daughter in the kitchen.

"Mom, what does 'dot, dot, dot' mean?"


I froze. A worse question than I expected. I was trying to get breakfast on the table and to the shower. It wasn't the right time to open the birds and the bees talk. So sometimes saying nothing, maybe pretending you don't hear the question can be good parenting. After a minute she answered her own question.


"I think it means kissing."


"I bet that's right, honey" I said. We'll save that talk for another day.

Comments

  1. I hate when they ask you questions you SO don't want to answer! I had taken my son and some of his friends out for pizza, and one of the boys asked me what something was (I don't even want to type it - let's just say it was a "social disease"!) - he asked rather loudly and someone at the next table heard him and started to laugh - I panicked! He said he had heard it in a song (great music out there!). I told him to go home and ask his parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember asking my mom to define "virgin" after a sermon at our church around Christmas time. I was informed that it was someone who'd never been kissed. I guess kids do ask pesky questions, but lucky for you that your kid answered her own! :)

    I found your blog after you were included in the matching game. You have some great stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. I remember that too from growing up! Too funny. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cooley,
    Forgot to ask. What matching game. How do I find it?

    Thanks,
    Margee

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Hope you enjoy the site.
Best,
Margee

Popular Posts