The Last Room Mom Standing


It's that time of year again for teacher's gifts. Last week, I found myself handing out bill after bill to group gift organizers. Thank goodness for teacher's gift organizers this time of year. They really make life simpler for parents. Kudos to the moms who do it regularly for sports, church school and school.

Mentally in my head I was checking off, first grade church school, first grade teacher, fourth grade church school...

Then I got to fourth grade teacher gift. Who should I give the money to? Damn, it's me. It's easy to see what kind of a room mom, I've been. After the February Valentine's Day party, there hasn't been much to do. So I've really risen to the occasion. When Christine, Queen of the Room moms cornered me at Target last fall, she literally said, "You're the last person available." And then she begged me to be room mom. I accepted. Later when I got home, I pondered the meaning of being her last choice. A topic for another day.

So realizing it was teacher's gift time of year, I called my co-room mom and friend Paula. We got together at her house, sent out the note, organized the field day game for our class and had a hoot. It's our last task of the year. Being a room mom wasn't so bad after all. At some point, you have to take your turn and do your fair share.

The other moms and dads of the class always go above and beyond what is asked for every party, every gift, everything. Being a room mom wasn't a chore, it was a fun. All you had to do each time was ask and organize. The parents did the rest. The take-away here is that together we're stronger, it just takes a point person to do the asking. In business, it's the same. People want to help. People want to be a part of things. You just have to ask.

Comments

  1. So, I'm just going to ask ... mom-to-mom (and another Paula), the next time you're in charge of the group gift, or asking someone to take on the task, organize the gift from: Everyone (www.fromeveryone.com). It's a group gift website created by moms for moms who know what a hassle it 'used to be'! Thanks, Paula Cho

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula! What a great tip. Thanks for sharing. What a good idea. Kudos to that company.

    Margee

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, your rise to room-mom-status reminds me of how I became the VP of our school's Parent Teacher Group. I was there, and there was no one else--*gulp*--tag, I'm it!

    It's true, though--people are generally happy to help (work or volunteer-wise), they often just want to be told what to do and then they run with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret,
    That's funny. I hear you! Sounds like you have found the same thing too. People like to help. We just need to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Love the "you're the last person available" Or was it that the other mothers were just avoiding it really well? The first year I was a homeroom mom I was given a big binder full of activities/ideas and a check for $80 to cover the party expenses for the year. Serious stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sugar Mama,

    Hmmm. Good point. Maybe I should develop better evasive action techniques for next school year.

    :)

    Margee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, I've been blogged about! Did I really say that??!! It's possible, as I was panicked about being asked to fill in as Co-Queen of the Room Moms at the last minute. (My predecessor had the nerve to take a full-time job in the waning days of summer. And THEN, she had the further nerve -- I suspect -- to recommend me for the job!) A mommy tip for those seeking to avoid harassment at Target: do your back-to-school shopping in disguise or in a suburb far, far away from home! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Hope you enjoy the site.
Best,
Margee

Popular Posts