Say Goodbye to the Are-We-There-Yet Blues: 3 Book Tips for Traveling with Kids


My Side of the Mountain (Puffin Modern Classics)
Sure videos are great for traveling with kids, but there's nothing like a shared story to help create some family memories. We've had great luck with a few books on CD lately and so here's a few I'd like to share.

My Side of the Mountain - Great for a Trip to the Lake or Mountains
On a recent trip up to visit my brother, we lucked out and found My Side of the Mountain at the library. Of course, it's a great idea to put your books on hold from the library, but I seem to always prefer the last-minute dash into the library as we're hopping on the road. That's just how I roll. Anyway. We totally lucked out and this family classic was available. Though the kids act too cool and give lip service to preferring videos, they were enthralled every time we put a disk in. Plus, perfectly quiet too. Big bonus. I loved this book as a child and loved it just as much hearing it again.

The pure magic of the power of a shared book became apparent last Sunday. We were canoeing down the river with the kids when my daughter pointed to a hollowed out log up on the banks. "We could live there mom," she said. "Like Sam in the book." Those images of Sam Gribley with his independent spirit, sense of adventure and self confidence will stay with my daughter and son forever.

Island of the Blue DolphinsIsland of the Blue Dolphins - Beach Trip
Right before our trip out to San Diego last year, we happened to listen to Island of the Blue Dolphins.

This family classic about a 12-year-old girl who lives alone on a Pacific Island with her dog similarly provides a sense of adventure and exploration. The great thing about taking this book along for a beach trip is the beautiful scenes of beach, lagoon and wildlife that really pique a child's wonder and curiosity to explore the natural environment. My son and I woke up early every day when we were at Fripp Island to walk together and hunt for treasure. We didn't find gold that is supposedly buried on Fripp but we did find shells, sand dollars and time together with just the two of us. And what a nugget of gold that can be.

Farmer Boy - Over the River and Through the Woods to Grandmother's

Farmer Boy CD (Little House-the Laura Years)Laura Ingalls Wilder was a gift to America for the memories she laid down of a time long gone. Of my memories of scenes that have stuck with me forever from the Little House series, the empty sugar barrel, the Christmas party and more, many of these scenes were in this book. Farmer Boy is the story of Almonzo Wilder, growing up on his family's farm in New York state.

It's perfect to read aloud before a trip to a farm or to visit older relatives. It's a story that also fosters independence as Almonzo plows fields alone and learns how to stand up for what is right. And you can't get much better than that.

So it's summer travel time, what are some more great family books for trips? We're heading out next week and I'm coming up with zip from my mad-dash library trips. Share your favorites from growing up or ones you've had success with.

Comments

Popular Posts